Tuesday 3 March 2015

What Leonard Nimoy Believed

I remember being startled at a used bookstore somewhere outside of Fresno--not by the fact that I was actually at a used bookstore somewhere outside of Fresno, but by the fact that I had just seen what appeared to be a book of poetry by Leonard Nimoy. 


With Leonard's passing a few days ago, I was reminded of a poem that summed up what this remarkable man believed. It's a simple poem, but so was its message of belief in the good (you can also hear him read this poem here). 

I am an incurable romantic
I believe in hope, dreams and decency

          I believe in love,
          Tenderness and kindness.

I believe in mankind.

                    I believe in goodness,
                    Mercy and charity
                    I believe in a universal spirit
                    I believe in casting bread
                    Upon the waters.

                          I am awed by the snow-capped mountains
                          By the vastness of oceans.

                               I am moved by a couple
                               Of any age – holding hands
                               As they walk through city streets.

                    A living creature in pain
                    Makes me shudder with sorrow
                    A seagull’s cry fills me
                    With a sense of mystery.

                               A river or stream
                               Can move me to tears
                               A lake nestling in a valley
                               Can bring me peace.

I wish for all mankind
The sweet simple joy
That we have found together.

I know that it will be.
And we shall celebrate
We shall taste the wine
And the fruit.

Celebrate the sunset and the sunrise
               the cold and the warmth
               the sounds and the silences
               the voices of the children.

Celebrate the dreams and hopes
Which have filled the souls of
All decent men and women.

               We shall lift our glasses and toast
               With tears of joy.




Leonard--thank you for not only believing in goodness, but for creating and fostering goodness in the world (and for having one of the most meaning-laden raised eyebrows in recorded history).

No comments:

Post a Comment